Monday, January 30, 2012

Vanilla cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream

After all of the candy I made for the Holidays I reallyyyy couldn't wait to get back in the kitchen wanted some time off. The past few weeks have been a nice break! I defnitely enjoyed not having to come home and clean the kitchen every night after work. I also needed to focus on my new calorie-counting regimen with My Fitness Pal app - one of those resolutions for the new year...

Now that my break is over - I was so happy to get back in the kitchen tonight and return to baking. Just needed to make a dozen cupcakes and I decided on the Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes recipe from Glorious Treats. I absolutely LOVE Glorious Treats! She is always making something beautiful and tasty - always with a lovely tutorial us newbies to follow as well.

The thing with trying a new recipe or altering a recipe that you have used in the past...you have to TASTE it to make sure tastes alright. A few swipes of icing here and there - I'm sure the calories were adding up but do I have to tell My Fitness pal? *sigh*

They turned out delicious! Here they are drizzled with a little caramel sauce.



The Caramel Buttercream is based off of a recipe from my Grandmother. I just changed a few things...

Salted Caramel Buttercream:
(makes enough to ice 16-18 cupcakes)

1 stick Butter
4 1/2 Tbsps (light) Brown Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
4-5 Tbsps Half and Half to smooth

Powdered Sugar
Kosher Salt

Melt 1/2 stick of butter with the brown sugar in a sauce pan on the stove on medium high. Once the two have come to a boil slowly add the vanilla and about 1 1/2- 2 Tbsps of Half and Half. (Milk or heavy cream would work as well.)

Once the items are melted together in the sauce pan, turn the burner off. In my mixing bowl, I started with 3/4 - 1 cup of powdered sugar and added the brown sugar mixture with the mixer on low. Once those ingredients were mixed together I wanted a fluffier texture so I added another 4 Tbps, one at a time, of room temperature butter. I continued mixing on medium and adding additional powdered sugar and half and half until I reached the consistency that I liked. (I used about 2 - 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and about 3 Tbsps of half and half.) I also added about 3 pinches of Kosher salt  - but again, this can be left out of the recipe or just added to your desired taste.

I also drizzled a little caramel sauce on top. If you would like a little bit of additional salt flavor and a crunch - they would probably be great with a little bit of crumbled pretzel added on top as well!

The cute cupcake liners were a gift I received, purchase from Sur La Table.






Delicious from every angle!




Enjoy! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment