Sunday, October 9, 2011

A year ago...

It has been a year since I made my first "custom cake". My first cake was for a family member's birthday. Who else is going to try out new creations and give you honest feedback? I know I bit off more than I could chew and went with a three-tier topsy-turvy cake. What was I thinking?!
The idea came to me a month before after I finished watching an entire season of Cake Boss on TV. I thought I could make a "cute" cake. I had never even heard of fondant before watching that season and used the first recipe I found online for a buttercream fondant. The cake was heavy and the fondant was thick! I didn't realize how expensive all of the materials would be and how much space all these necessities would take up in my kitchen.
It makes me giggle when I look back at this cake and remember everyone's faces when I walked in with it. I think I've scaled back quite a bit since then and realized that bigger isn't always better. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment